Research Administration Certification Program
Cornell University’s Research Administration Certification Program (RACP), developed in collaboration with a cross-campus advisory committee, and coordinated through a partnership between Office of Sponsored Programs and Division of Financial Affairs, is a professional development opportunity designed to educate Cornell staff about sponsored programs administration.
The purpose of the program is to develop and maintain a skilled cadre of research administration professionals within the university and to promote a culture of research facilitation, compliance and integrity. This program is recommended for staff whose work supports sponsored projects, particularly those new to the field or new to Cornell University.
The curriculum provides a high-level overview of key concepts related to sponsored programs administration at Cornell. The five day core training program is offered three times a year. Participants attend lectures and use problem-based learning exercises to engage in real-world issues. In addition to the core courses, 15 hours of electives are recommended within one year and continuing education is also encouraged.
Principles and Practice of Research Administration at Cornell University
- Module 1: Introduction to Research Administration at Cornell: Developing and Submitting Proposals
- Module 2: Special Practices in Research: Research Compliance at Cornell
- Module 3: Financial Policies and Stewardship and Crafting Fully Compliant Budgets
- Module 4: Understanding the Awards Process
- Module 5: Awards Negotiation and Fiscal, Technical, and Administrative Management of Awarded Projects
Electives (15 hours recommended)
- Division of Financial Affairs (DFA) training
- Office of Research Integrity & Assurance (ORIA) training
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Professional organizations (NCURA & SRA)
Continuing Education (4 hours recommended)
- Research Roundtables (OSP)
- Ad hoc Outreach Sessions (OSP & SFS)
Continuing education courses are recommended each year subsequent to initial certification. Sources include all electives. In addition to the Research Roundtables and ad hoc outreach sessions offered by OSP and Sponsored Financial Services (SFS), RACP participants may choose from any of the electives listed above.
Dates and Registration Information
Dates: June 16 - 20, 2014 (five full days)
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Location: Room 140, East Hill Office Building, 395 Pine Tree Road
Deadline for application: May 9, 2014, 5:00pm
Attendance is required at all sessions. There is no registration fee for the program. If you are interested in attending please contact Laura Talcott (email@example.com) for more information.
The Administrative Team responsible for conducting the program:
Office of Sponsored Programs
Sponsored Financial Services